July 27th, 2022
Best Places to Live in Clayton, NC
Are you relocating to Clayton, NC? Make sure to check out these best neighborhoods in Clayton!
These are the best places to live in Clayton!
Not only is the North Carolina town of Clayton known for its amazing recreational attractions, above-average public schools, access to top colleges and universities, and lively craft beer scene, but it is also home to a number of great neighborhoods that appeal to all lifestyles.
Whether you are a growing family in search of a safe neighborhood that is full of new construction single-family homes for sale in Clayton or is a young professional who is on the hunt for townhomes for sale in Clayton, the truth is that there is no shortage of excellent places to live in Clayton.
Since Clayton is located just minutes from downtown Raleigh, Garner, and Research Triangle Park, it is no wonder that this laid-back town has grown in popularity over the past few years as more and more people move to Clayton in search of work and educational opportunities.
While the prospect of moving may be exciting, actually finding a neighborhood and home that best suits your needs can oftentimes be overwhelming which is why our team is here to help.
By putting together this trusty guide to the best neighborhoods in Clayton, NC, you will be able to move to Clayton with confidence knowing that you get to call such a fantastic place to call home in the Triangle area.
With that being said, read on to learn more about where you should live in Clayton!
The neighborhood of Flowers Plantation is a top-rated residential community located near the Johnston County and Wake County line in Clayton and is considered to be a great place to raise a family.
This 3,000-acre community is considered to be the largest planned community in the Research Triangle region and is located only 25 minutes from Downtown Raleigh and Research Triangle Park.
Offering its residents a wide selection of home styles including single-family homes, townhomes, apartments, and active adult homes, Flowers Plantation features only the best amenities that the area has to offer.
Plus, featuring over 20 miles of pedestrian walking trails and onsite shopping and dining options, residents are able to live a happy and healthy lifestyle without having to leave the community.
- Clayton Community Park: This dog-friendly park features sports courts, athletic fields, a pond, walking paths, and a community center
- Clemmons Educational State Forest: A great place to bring the kids, this 825-acre state first opened in 1976 and is the first educational state forest in North Carolina
- The Pineville Club: This members-only fitness and spa club is open to residents and non-residents of the Flowers community and features a top-of-the-line fitness center, indoor and outdoor pools, walking trails, and more
The community of Brittany Woods dates back to 1992 and has continually developed over the years as more and more people move to the area in search of a quiet place to live just outside of downtown Raleigh.
Offering a wide selection of single-family homes that range from 1,147 to 2,771 square feet, most homes in this neighborhood have three to five bedrooms and two to three bathrooms.
For those moving with school-aged children, some of the best public schools in the area include West Clayton Elementary School, Riverwood Middle School, and Clayton Middle School which are all part of the Johnston County Public School System.
- Deep River Brewing Company: Recognized as the first legal brewery in Johnston County, this small local craft brewery specializes in American beer that uses a variety of local ingredients
- Clayton Riverwalk on the Neuse: Features a four-mile 10 foot wide paved trail that begins at the Wake County and Johnston County line and runs parallel to the Neuse River
- Artmosphere Community Arts Center: Offering art classes, music classes, and more in a supportive environment that is open to all ages and skill levels
Villages at Glenhaven
Mostly featuring midsize homes that are all reasonably priced, the Villages at Glenhaven is a beautiful community full of single-family homes that date back to 1997.
Located close to downtown Clayton and downtown Raleigh, residents love living in this neighborhood for its private backyards and cozy tight-knit community feel.
With home plans that will appeal to all tastes, most homes in this community range from 1,232 to 1,438 square feet and have between three to four bedrooms and two to three bathrooms.
- The Clayton Center: Managed by the Town of Clayton and located at the same complex as Town Hall, this performing arts center is a great place to catch live music and theatre performances
- Boyette Family Farms: This family-owned farm in Johnston County produces vegetables, herbs, and flowers during the growing season as well as pick your own grapes between the months of August and September
- Clayton Fear Farm: This haunted scream park is located at Boyette Family Farms and is a popular terrifying attraction during the month of October
Conveniently found just off of highway 42 in Clayton, the neighborhood of Tuscany is a master-planned community that offers plenty of new homes for sale in Clayton.
Featuring mostly large homes that are all reasonably priced from the 600s, Tuscany is home to a variety of amenities including a clubhouse, playground, junior Olympic pool, and a children's splash pool with fountains that are popular features during the warm summer months.
- Epic Axe Clayton: Come have a drink and throw axes on Main Street in downtown Clayton
- Main Street Community Garden: Found in downtown Clayton, this community garden provides nutritious fruits and vegetables to the public and educates the community about sustainable gardening practices
- Corked and Untapped: This cute bottle shop in downtown Clayton offers a large wine and beer selection as well as a variety of cheesecakes, dips, and charcuterie boards
Found between the Neuse River and the Neuse Golf Club, the popular neighborhood of Glen Laurel in Clayton is an ideal place to live for families and retirees alike due to its abundance of recreational opportunities and breathtaking custom-designed homes.
Featuring homes that are designed to meet the needs of all lifestyles, residents are able to build the home of their dreams in Glen Laurel using one of Johnston Counties' local builders including Covered Bridge Homes, Wynn Homes, Watermark Homes, Cumberland Homes, and Veronelli Homes.
- Banks Miniature Horse Farm: This family-owned miniature horse farm is located on 35 acres of pastures and specializes in black and white pintos
- Sam's Branch Greenway Trail: The best place in Clayton to go hiking or biking with the whole family
- Revival 1869 Cocktail Bar: A great place to gather with loved ones, this cocktail bar is serving cool and fresh cocktails on Main Street
Winston Pointe South
The housing development of Winston Pointe South is a highly sought-after community in Clayton that is found in an unbeatable location just outside of Raleigh and near downtown Clayton.
With a new phase being added in the summer of 2022, most homes feature two-car garages, three to five bedrooms, two to three and a half bathrooms, and range between 1,826 to 3,005 square feet.
Providing quiet streets, a community pool, gorgeous home sites, and access to nearby restaurants and shops, it is no wonder that Winston Pointe South is considered to be one of the best places to live in Clayton, NC.
- Hammer and Stain Clayton Studio: This DIY painting studio is where guests can transform unfinished pieces of wood into beautiful works of art
- Pace Family Farms: This sustainable agriculture farm is a you-pick farm and is growing strawberries, broccoli, cabbage, onions, green beans, squash, and other favorites that are available to buy
- Mannings Restaurant: Featuring a variety of southern comfort dishes and great drinks with a modern twist
The neighborhood of Riverwood offers its residents the feel of a small town with the advantage of living near a big city which is one of the reasons why this Clayton community is so popular.
Home to the Riverwood Golf and Athletic Club which is a premier club in the area, members are able to take advantage of its championship golf course, great tee times, and variety of afternoon and evening activities.
- Nina's Restaurant and Bar: From tasty pasta to a variety of different entrees, this casual American restaurant is beloved for its sandwiches, soups, and salads
- La Cocina Mexican Restaurant: Dine on traditional Mexican fare as well as margaritas in a relaxed setting
- Simple Twist: Offering dine-in, drive-through, and delivery options, this family-friendly restaurant in Clayton provides great food, drinks, and service
Located along the Neuse River and within an hour's drive to the Raleigh Durham International Airport, the community of Portofino is unlike any other neighborhood in Clayton since it is home to over seven miles of nature trails, a fishing pond, equestrian facilities, and direct access to highly rated shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- Clayton Steakhouse: This laid-back neighborhood steakhouse features excellent chophouse classics, a salad bar, and a self-serve drink station
- Vinson's Pub and Eatery: Serving the Clayton area since 1918, this pub and eatery is part of the Downtown Clayton Bar Crawl and is the best place in town to grab a fabulous meal
- Tavern 42: Found in a quiet location, this local tavern is serving tasty American favorites that will satisfy all of your cravings
The neighborhood of Gordon Park is found off of Glen Laurel and Powhatan Road in Clayton and is a new community that features sidewalks and beautiful homesites.
Due to its close proximity to top-rated schools in the area, Gordon Park is a great place to live for families and young professionals.
- McKinley's Restaurant and Pub: This Irish pub is located in Clayton Corners and is beloved for its live music and drinks
- Skylines Cafe: Dine at this family-friendly American cafe with a hint of global flair in a fun atmosphere
- Venero's Pizzeria: Serving the Clayton area since 1995, this New York Pizzeria offers a casual atmosphere as well as an outdoor patio that is dog-friendly when the weather is nice
Knolls at the Neuse
Offering ranch-style homes, two-story single-family homes, and a variety of floor plans that will appeal to all lifestyles, the neighborhood of Knolls at the Neuse is a great place to live in Clayton.
With options to join the Neuse River Racquet Club which includes five tennis courts, a community pool, a fitness room, and a pro shop, there is always something to do when living in this wonderful Clayton community.
- Crawford Cookshop: Located in a historic building from 1904 in downtown Clayton, this Americana-style restaurant is serving American classics such as seasonal salads, crispy sandwiches, and tasty entrees
- Mezcalito Clayton: This popular Mexican restaurant is known for its great atmosphere, good drinks, and delicious food
- Donald Clyde Sinclair Park: This nice quiet park features a playground, walking trails, basketball courts, and on-site bathrooms
The Best Places to Live in Clayton, NC - Final Thoughts
Our team here at Uphomes is dedicated to helping you find a great place to live in Clayton and the surrounding Raleigh area through our variety of local guides that can be found on our website including relevant information about moving to Raleigh, moving to Garner, moving to Durham, moving to Chapel Hill, moving to Apex, moving to Cary, moving to Holly Springs, moving to Fuquay-Varina, moving to Morrisville, and moving to Wake Forest.
When you or anyone else that you may know is interested in buying a home in Clayton, make sure to reach out to one of our knowledgeable Clayton Real Estate Specialists. We are always here to help along your home buying journey and answer any questions you may have! Contact us today in order to learn more about homes for sale in Clayton, NC.