December 11th, 2023
Best Places to Live in Tallahassee
Are you searching for the best neighborhoods in Tallahassee, FL? Check out these seven great places to live in Tallahassee!
Tallahassee, Florida, is located only 22 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico and has been recognized as the state capital since 1824. Well known for being a college town for over 150 years, Tallahassee is home to two large universities, Florida State University and Florida A&M University.
Best Known for its rolling red hills, with the highest peak being about 200 feet above sea level, Tallahassee offers excellent outdoor recreation opportunities that are perfect for the whole family to enjoy. Providing a thriving arts and culture scene, tons of family-friendly activities, and an abundance of things to do, it is no wonder that so many people are deciding to call Tallahassee home.
With a population of nearly 200,000 residents, Tallahassee is continually growing and has earned the distinction as one of the best places to live in Florida. Full of beautiful restaurants, malls, schools, and even a variety of neighborhoods, learning all you can about an area and its location is essential when settling down in this sought-after Florida city. Especially moving to Tallahassee, you will have to decide if you would like to live near downtown or on the outskirts.
So if you are trying to decide whether you should live near downtown or in the suburbs, keep reading to understand what makes these neighborhoods the most sought-after subdivisions in Tallahassee.
Here are the seven best places to live in Tallahassee!
If you are moving to Florida, you must check out the neighborhoods of Betton Hills in Tallahassee. Betton Hills is one of the several highly desirable neighborhoods in northeastern Tallahassee. Betton Hills was built when Tallahassee grew immensely and is still a growing neighborhood today!
Not only is it one of the more popular neighborhoods near downtown Tallahassee, but it also has a variety of amenities for its residents. The subdivision has a community park, tennis courts, baseball fields, and more!
In Betton Hills, you will find around 800 houses built back in the 1950s and 1980s that are located on lots with a lot of privacy due to the number of plants and trees throughout the neighborhood.
- Goodwood Museum & Gardens: This building and its plant life date 150 years ago. It was bought and lived in by some of the most critical people in Tallahassee's history. It has been preserved and is now accessible to visitors who want to see the property and learn about its history!
- Guyte P. McCord Park: This park is a perfect destination for those who want to go biking or hiking through the wilderness. It has some paved surfaces to make walking/jogging around the park easy! It is dog friendly as well.
- Uptown Cafe and Catering: This restaurant has been a part of Tallahassee for 38 years. It serves healthy, homemade breakfast and lunch. Uptown Cafe is very family oriented and considers their "regulars" family!
Killearn Estates is more of an upscale neighborhood in Tallahassee. It is also one of Tallahassee's best subdivisions and one of the first planned communities. It is located only 20 minutes from downtown Tallahassee and is built on a beautiful golf course.
This neighborhood has all sorts of different styles of homes. They have ranches, Mediterranean villas, unique custom-built homes, and even older homes! The best part of this neighborhood is that there are shops and restaurants right around the corner. It has access to main roads like I-10, which gives these residents easy access to the downtown area or around it!
Killearn Estates is perfect for those who want to live in a community with a few amenities and is located close to downtown but still has that suburban neighborhood feel to it!
- AJ Henry Park: This 72-acre park is located in the Killearn neighborhood! This park has fun playgrounds for little children, paths around the lake, nature and hiking trails, and four picnic shelters!
- Shannon Lakes Park: This park is for Killearn residents and their guests. This park has boating ramps to release your boat into the lake. There are also benches under large oak trees for relaxing near the water on a warm day in Florida!
- Maple Steet Biscuit Company: This is a highly loved biscuit chain restaurant! Visit this establishment to enjoy fresh coffee and fresh biscuits! If you are craving a moist biscuit, crispy chicken, and fresh coffee (hot or iced), this place is a must-visit for you if you are in the Tallahassee area!
This subdivision is precisely what it is called College Town. This neighborhood is full of young adults and students who attend prominent nearby colleges. It is located right between Florida State University and Florida A&M University.
As you may know, college towns generally are a little more hectic and lively. Entertainment, shops, and restaurants for the students and young adults surround this neighborhood. The builder wanted to create an area to allow these students to live in a home while still being within walking distance of all of the entertaining destinations! College football stadiums are one of those!
- Madison Social: This American restaurant is located right outside College Town and is a top hit for the residents and students in the area. They also have Tuesday Trivia and other fun events held at this restaurant!
- Railroad Square Art District: This historic warehouse district has more than 50 art studios, galleries, and small shops! This is a perfect place to go shopping if you want to support local artists and designers.
- Pot Belly's: This is Tallahassee's Iconic Bar that was founded in 1994. It is located downtown near College Town and hosts live music! This has been a favorite local bar in the area for a long time.
- The Wilbury: This restaurant is known for having the best wings in Tallahassee! They also have fun attractions like a pool, mini bowling, darts, and more! There is also a large outdoor patio to enjoy on a nice day!
If you are looking for a neighborhood with a stunning golf course, Summerbrooke is the place for you! It was built in 1989 and had a semi-private Golf Club and course. There is also a community park inside the neighborhood with a playground and shaded areas. Summerbrooke is also considered one of the safest neighborhoods in Tallahassee!
This neighborhood is unique because five lakes are located throughout this subdivision. It is perfect if you are looking for a quiet community where you can enjoy an evening stroll along the trails around the neighborhood and lakes!
- Cascades Park: This park emerged as one of Tallahassee's best attractions and was a gathering spot for hunters and travelers. This park is now home to the Capital City Amphitheater, which hosts musical, theatrical, and community events that hold more than 3,500 seats.
- The Golf Club at Summerbrooke: This club has membership options for those living outside the Summerbrooke neighborhood. It also has one of the most luxurious and relaxing pools in Tallahassee!
- Northside Community Center: This community center has tons of amenities! They have basketball, volleyball, and pickleball. They also have an outdoor pavilion for picnics or events. You won't want to miss out on the excellent fitness center where they hold aerobics and classes! Northside has full-size fields, a dog park, and even a disc golf course! This place has it all for you and your friends/family!
Waverly Hills is one of the first planned neighborhoods in Tallahassee. It was formerly a hunting and fishing plantation named after one of the novels written by Sir Walter Scott.
The Waverly Hills community is very close-knit. They hold several events for families and adults throughout the year. They celebrate holidays like Easter, the 4th of July, and more!
Old brick homes were built in the 1960s wrapped in Spanish moss. This neighborhood has various home styles, from bungalows to Tudors, to ranches! This subdivision is perfect for you if you want a community that loves one another and has a lot of character and charm!
- Waverly Pond: This is a local pond located in Waverly Hills. It is a perfect spot for a relaxing evening walk with your furry friends or even taking your children to feed the birds!
- Eagles Nest Baseball Field: A local baseball field that hosts soccer, lacrosse, and baseball!
- Brinkley Glen Park: This park consists of 8.2 acres of land. It is a small but wonderful park in the neighborhood, surrounded by wetlands and shady trees. This park is perfect for hiking and biking!
Levy Park is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Tallahassee. This neighborhood is known for having a southern charm atmosphere! It is a highly loved subdivision by the locals, with it being close to Tallahassee.
This neighborhood has a variety of residents that live here. It has a home for everyone, whether you are a young professional or have a family! Most of the houses were constructed in the 1940s and are single-family homes. However, Levy Park does have some townhome and apartment options.
With it being near downtown Tallahassee, there's an abundance of things to do right around the corner from your home. Levy Park is also close to Lake Ella, a perfect destination to take your friends and family on a nice day in Tallahassee.
- Publix: Publix is one of America's largest and fastest-growing supermarket chains. It is right around the corner from Levy Park for easy access to a grocery store!
- Whataburger: This fast food chain is one of the best southern restaurants. Since 1950, Whataburger has stuck to its original recipes serving some of the best burgers in town! If you love burgers, you should check out this place! It is right around the corner from Levy Park as well.
This neighborhood is located in the center of Tallahassee, giving it its name, Midtown. Midtown is a super popular, desirable neighborhood because of its fantastic location! It is surrounded by main roads that make traveling in and around Tallahassee convenient.
Midtown has a very welcoming community. Community gardens, boutiques, and historic homes surround it. It is also located near Lake Ella and other parks that are perfect for a beautiful trip to take your kids or furry friends.
- Winthrop Park: This park right inside midtown has six courts with lights so you can enjoy the park at night too! There are two racquetball courts and walking trails!
- Whole Foods Market: This grocery store is known for selling organic and all-natural products! They also do not allow artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives to be sold in their stores. This store is perfect for those on vegan or vegetarian diets or even those looking for a grocery store that sells healthy options!
- The Brass Tap: This bar offers over 150 craft beers from around the globe in a neighborhood atmosphere. Each month, they also have daily specials, live entertainment, and unique events! The Brass Tap serves a delicious menu you should check out!
Is Tallahassee an excellent place to move to?
Tallahassee is a great place to relocate due to many things, such as a thriving job market, affordable housing, low cost of living, and easy access to many things to do. It also offers the residents a true sense of community.
What is a good salary in Tallahassee, FL?
The average salary for a resident in Tallahassee is about $45,186, the 25th percentile.
Is Tallahassee, FL, expensive to live in?
The cost of living for Tallahassee is lower than the state and national average, and the housing costs are lower, so it tends to be cheaper to live here. However, some things, such as utilities, may be more expensive, so it does vary.
Best Neighborhoods in Tallahassee, Florida - Final Thoughts
Moving can be nerve-wracking in so many ways, but our team has put together this neighborhood guide to help ease some of that stress when finding the right neighborhood for you or your family. Tallahassee is such a beautiful Florida city with so much to offer.
Living in any subdivisions mentioned throughout the article will allow you access to downtown Tallahassee and major roads, hospitals, shopping centers, restaurants, and much more! Moving to Tallahassee also opens up many job opportunities, with it being the state's capital home to many industries in the city.
Finding a safe neighborhood with everything you need to live your life is essential when moving to a new area. This guide has many options if you have small kids and want a community with parks and playgrounds! Most of these neighborhoods have homes for sale right this second. Make a move before they are purchased!
If you need help figuring out where to start with the home-buying process, contact us to be connected with a local Real Estate professional! Their job is to help the process go as smoothly and successfully!
Hi there! My name is Ryan Fitzgerald, and I am a REALTOR®. My goal is to help you learn more about real estate through our Real Estate Blog! Hopefully, you enjoyed the above blog post and it found a way to provide help or value to you. When you're ready to buy or sell a home of your own let us know here. Please feel free to join the conversation by dropping us a comment below.
Are you considering moving to Tallahassee, FL? Please make sure you know these top ten things about what it is like to live in Tallahassee!
December 11th, 2023
Is Tallahassee, FL, an expensive place to live? Let's look deeper into living costs in Tallahassee, the average income, typical expenses, and more!
February 01st, 2023
Are you currently living in or moving to Tallahassee, FL, and looking for fun things to do? This guide will go over the seven best things to do in Tallahassee that you should experience, whether you are a resident or just visiting the area.
January 26th, 2023
Are you moving to Tallahassee, FL, and looking for the perfect place to enjoy dinner with your friends or family? Follow along as we discuss some of the restaurants that we deem to be the best in Tallahassee!
January 19th, 2023