January 24th, 2023
Best Places to Live in Mobile
Are you moving to Mobile, AL, and searching for the best neighborhoods? Check out these seven great places to live in Mobile!
Mobile, AL, is located in the part of the state that meets the Gulf and is somewhere you can only get to the beach by driving through! Within Mobile County, this city has a total population of 412,000 residents and is the 4th most populated city in the state of Alabama!
Considered to be one of the best places to live in Alabama, Mobile is known for the famous Mardi Gras and is one of the oldest cities in Alabama. While the location is near the water, this is where the only saltwater port is in Alabama. The port plays a vital role in the city's economic health. While the beaches are excellent here, Mobile also offers its residents a low cost of living, fantastic weather, a vibrant metro area, beautiful views, and so much more!
Mobile is a fantastic place to live where you can not miss out on the old-world charm, high quality of life, and location of this great city! Finding a place you can be happy to call your home is significant when you are moving. Hence, you need to consider all of your options to make sure you move somewhere you will love! If you want to move to Mobile, you should check out these fantastic neighborhoods you can call home one day!
Here are the seven best places to live in Mobile!
Berkleigh is ranked as the number 5 best neighborhood in Mobile and the whole state of Alabama. This is ranked as one of the best because you will have a quiet and peaceful atmosphere in this neighborhood. This neighborhood offers its residents proximity to several grocery stores and favorite dining spots.
Most of the homes in this neighborhood are 10 to 60 years old, and the median home price is about $241,058, which is more expensive than many other neighborhoods in Alabama. The average monthly rent here is $1,334, which is also higher than others in the state. Berkleigh is a fantastic choice to live in if you are looking for a perfect place to retire since it offers a peaceful quiet area.
- Jerusalem Cafe: This a Mediterranean restaurant with a cozy atmosphere that specializes in Middle Eastern classics such as hummus, gyros, and kebabs.
- Mugshots Grill and Bar: This is a family restaurant and a convivial spot for burgers, sandwiches, and salads, some with a Hawaiian twist and beer!
- Ruby Slipper Cafe: Not only is this a breakfast place, but it is one of the best in the South! This award-winning cafe offers a southern breakfast, brunch, and lunch! You can not miss out on this delicious homemade food!
Malibar Heights is a cozy community located off Southern University Blvd that features 1960s ranch-style homes! Here in Malibar Heights, the median home price is about $205,989, less than most places in the United States. Due to its location, this place is a popular area since it has easily accessible shopping, restaurants, and parks.
This suburban neighborhood comprises small- to medium-sized family homes and apartment complexes. A mix of renters and owners occupies this area. If you are looking for a place to live where you can enjoy the old-time feel of these beautiful homes, then this is the place for you!
- Medal of Honor Park: This park offers facilities for football, soccer, softball, baseball, and tennis, along with a walking path and picnic areas.
- The Noble South: This is one of the best brunch places in Mobile! Located across from Bienville Square makes, this is the prime location to eat. After a long walk on the water, this is the perfect venue to enjoy pickled shrimp, fig crepes, or even steak and eggs!
- Reina's Kitchen: If you are looking for the best spot to stop for lunch, this place is for you! You will feel like you are in a diner where you will experience divine quick-serve sandwiches and salads!
Greenwich Hills is a suburban neighborhood with a median real estate price of $124,133, less expensive than the average homes in Alabama and throughout the United States. The average rental price here is also lower than most places in Alabama, at $1,121.
This neighborhood is mainly known for the uniqueness of its people. Greenwich Hills has one of the highest concentrations of divorcees living here. There also is a large handful of sales and service workers and a lot of diversity. If you are looking for a place where you will feel welcome no matter what, this is for you!
- The Juice Seafood: This restaurant is hands down one of the best places to eat in the south! It offers your standard crab shack fare, snow crab legs, crawfish, shrimp, and more served with corn and potato. Everything you order will come out fresh and juicy, so you should not miss out on this spot.
- Chickasbogue Park: This multi-use outdoor recreation facility features camping, mountain biking, biking, trails, sports fields, playgrounds, frisbee golf, canoeing, swimming, fishing, and so much more.
- Bellingrath Gardens and Home: This is a 65-acre estate garden and historic home on Fowl Rover in south Mobile County. This place offers blooms and beauty every day of the year, where you can explore two miles of pathways through the gardens! You can not miss out on these beautiful flowers and views.
Carlen is a suburban neighborhood that consists of medium to tiny single-family homes. It has a median real estate price of $270,524, which is more expensive than most homes in Alabama. On the other hand, the average rental price in Carlen is currently $1,609, which is also higher than most of the neighborhoods in Alabama.
Carlen has more upper-middle-income homes, making for lower poverty rates throughout the area. This neighborhood is also known for its diverse population. The people who live here range from young to old. You will see the various residents when you visit.
- Cooper Riverside Park: This park is a waterfront oasis in the heart of downtown. Cooper Riverside offers a spectacular vantage point for washing the ship traffic in Mobile's busiest part while enjoying tours from WildNative at the museums and many special events!
- USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park: This military history park and museum have a collection of notable aircraft and museum ships, including the South Fakota-class battleship and Gato-class submarine.
- Dumbwaiter Restaurant: This is a creative southern fare in a buzzy space that offers an upscale mainstay with a raw bar preparing southern classics with a modern twist in rustic-chic digs!
Parkhill comprises medium-sized to large-sized single-family homes with a median real estate price of $288,396, which is more expensive than most homes in Alabama and the United States. The rental price in Parkhill is also at $1,742, which is higher than most neighborhoods in Alabama.
Parkhill neighborhood earned the unique distinction of having one of the highest rates of detached, single-family homes of any area in the United States.
If you are looking for a place where you are starting up your life and want to be near it all at a reasonable price, this is the place for you!
- Langan Park: Also known as Municipal park, it is a 720-acre municipal park that offers golf, tennis, outdoor concerts, a children's playground, and picnic areas! You can't miss out on these beautiful views here.
- Bob's Downtown Restaurant: This is a snug, old-fashioned American diner that offers hearty American breakfast and lunch items in a tiny, old-school cafe with sidewalk seating.
- Wintzell's Oyster House: This seafood restaurant has an informal chain eatery serving oysters, fried shrimp, and other Gulf Coast seafood, plus happy hour!
Cottage Park is a suburban neighborhood with a median real estate price of $319,067, which is more expensive than most neighborhoods in Alabama and the United States. The average rental price in Cottage Park is currently $2,199, which is also higher than most neighborhoods in Alabama.
The real estate here is primarily made up of medium-sized to large single-family homes and townhomes. One unique thing about this neighborhood is that there is a higher concentration of married couples living here.
If you are looking for a place to live that is a beautiful area and family-oriented area, then this is the place for you!
- Squid Ink Electric Eats and Drinks: This is a restaurant that offers po boys, burgers, salads, and seafood dishes that are showcased at this causal gastropub with a terrace!
- Roosters: This is a restaurant that is a casual stop with picnic tables featuring Latin American dishes, tacos, burritos, plus margaritas! Stop by and enjoy a dish and drinks with friends!
- Lake Drive at Tricentennial Park: This beautiful park offers visitors waterfront swimming, canoeing, a splash pad, walking trails, pavilions, playgrounds, and a pier to enjoy with friends and or to enjoy the breathtaking view!
Di Grado is a suburban neighborhood with a median real estate price of $372,775, which is more expensive than most neighborhoods in Alabama and the United States. Also, the average rental price is currently $1,515, which is higher than other neighbors surrounding the area.
This neighborhood is made up of medium-sized and large-sized single-family homes with a lot of beautiful homes. Most residents here are people who commute to work due to its location and are mostly single or married couples with kids.
If you are looking for a spot near the city's heart and a fast-paced lifestyle, this neighborhood would fit perfectly!
- Loda Bier Garden: This restaurant has lots of draft beers and hearty pub grub in a convivial watering hole that offers over 100 plus beers plus ample portions of American and German comfort food.
- The Royal Scam: This chic space offers steak and seafood and shares the menu with burgers and fries with stylish brick walls and a patio.
- Half Shell Oyster House: This is an upscale-causal southern food restaurant and bar serving oysters and PO boys, plus steaks and cocktails.
Moving to Mobile - The Bottom Line
Mobile, AL, is a fantastic place to live, especially if you are looking for a home with a low cost of living and breathtaking views! Finding the perfect place to move to can be stressful because there are so many options, but you can experience it all here in Mobile!
This city is a very populated place that offers an excellent education, low cost of living, warm weather, fantastic food options, and many more! You must take advantage of the culture that this place has to offer.
If you are looking for somewhere where you can find beautiful historic neighborhoods, Mardi Gras, and southern hospitality, come here to Mobile! No matter what kind of home you are looking for, Mobile has it. On the other hand, this place is also one of the most affordable places to live in Alabama.
If you or anyone you know is interested in searching for homes for sale in Mobile, AL, please get in touch with us here so we can connect you with our Realty Specialist to help make this transition go smoothly. No matter what kind of neighborhood, location, price, or preference, we are here to help you through every step of the home-buying process, so we can find you the perfect home that meets all your needs and lifestyle. Contact us today! We are here to help and answer any questions.
For more information about moving and the best neighborhoods, check out some of our other local guides, including moving to Alabama, moving to Montgomery, the best neighborhoods in Montgomery, and the cost of living in Alabama.