February 27th, 2023
Best Places to Live in Melbourne
Are you searching for the best neighborhoods in Melbourne, FL? Find the best places to live in Melbourne below, with local favorites!
Melbourne is located in central Florida, southeast of Orlando, with the Indian River bordering its east side. With 85,064 residents, it is a reasonably large city known for its vibrant arts district, family-friendly beaches, charming downtown, and affordable housing.
With multiple different types and styles of housing here, there is a beautiful community of young professionals, families, and retirees that live in Melbourne's many lovely neighborhoods. Whether you want to live by the water, in an inspiring arts district, in a quiet and homey area, or be in the hustle and bustle of downtown, the perfect neighborhood is waiting for you.
Once separated into Crane Creek and Eau Ellie, these two cities became one in 1969 after a tragic fire burned down what used to be the Crane Creek area. Now, Melbourne encapsulates the land area between Palm Shores and Palm Bay and part of the Island to the east between the Indian River and the Atlantic Ocean, offering lots of land and different landscapes.
With many different areas to choose from, many fun things to do and see, and fantastic school districts and outdoor spaces, there is a selection of neighborhoods to choose from, depending upon your favorite.
Please read below to learn more about some of the top neighborhoods in Melbourne, FL, and what they offer and are like.
Check out these top places to live in Melbourne!
This quiet and rustic neighborhood is located in northern Melbourne, just above the Maxwell C. King Center for the performing arts and the large Wickham park. Known for its lush outdoorsy landscapes and located near many shops, restaurants, schools, and parks, this is an excellent area for those wanting some peace and quiet but still having the convenience of being near many things.
The median home value in Wickham Forest is around $415k. Many families, retirees, or young professionals attending Eastern Florida State College or working in the area reside here with easy access to the university and the Patrick Space Force Base. This is a beautiful neighborhood for retired individuals due to being close to the largest park in town and local area golf courses such as Baytree National Golf Club.
Lastly, for families looking to live in this neighborhood, there are some great schools within the district, including Longleaf Elementary, Sherwood Elementary, Wade Christian Academy, and Learning Forward Education Center.
Check out some of the local favorites of things in this neighborhood below!
- Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts- This performing arts center contains a main theatre with 2,016 seats and a black box theatre for smaller performances with 250 seats. Residents from all over Melbourne come to see live performances of bands, comedians, live performers, musicians, and more! With its beautiful exterior of large towering windows and lush green landscaping, this is a great spot to enjoy some local and traveling artists performing here.
- Wickham Park-A sizeable public park located just south of Wickham Forest spanning 391 acres and containing a campground, many recreational fields, swimming lakes, a dog park, horse trails, several pavilions, and paved paths for jogging or strolling around enjoying the stunning nature. An excellent place to enjoy a picnic or day outside with the family, exercise, or relax underneath the trees.
- Long Doggers-A laid-back American restaurant serving wings, burgers, and beers with a fun beach theme and outdoor seating.
Sunwood Park is a suburban neighborhood located just North of the Eau Gallie Arts District, with the Indian River just two miles to its east. Known as more of a residential area, the neighborhood prides itself on its cleanliness and welcoming atmosphere.
The median home value in Sunwood Park is around $250k, with most homes being single-family homes at affordable prices. The average age in this neighborhood is 45 years old, with many families choosing to reside here due to Eau Gallie Highschool and DR WJ Creel Elementary School being within the district.
Located between the NE Dixie Highway and W Eau Gallie BLVD, living in this neighborhood also allows you to travel quickly to other areas. Check out some of the local favorites in Sunwood below!
- McGrath Field- This neighborhood baseball field is excellent for recreational pick-up games or watching little league players test their skills.
- Sully's Backstreet Bar-A fun live music venue with a bar and outdoor seating. Enjoy some fresh air and local talent!
- Crane Community Center-This 3,700 sq foot multi-use facility was once known as "Teen Town," where local teenagers would have a safe area to play recreational games and hold local dances. Today, the community center is still an excellent place for residents to play on the playground, enjoy the dog park, play at some outdoor fields, and more.
Located just North of the Melbourne Orlando Airport, this peaceful neighborhood has a mix of more contemporary homes and some farm-style homes with one floor and an open garage.
The median home value in Ixora Park is around $300k, making it a very affordable neighborhood and great for both families and retirees. Being close to both the airport and the downtown area, this is a convenient location to reside.
With green grass on almost every lawn and sidewalk weaving through the neighborhood, this area is also known to be dog- and family-friendly. The schools nearby are Harbor City Elementary, Roy Allen Elementary, Melbourne Preschool, and Eau Gallie Highschool.
If you are looking for an affordable and safe neighborhood close to the excitement of downtown and in an excellent school district, this is the neighborhood for you! Check out some of the local favorites below.
- Grand Manor- A stunning event venue where locals and visitors host weddings, baby showers, corporate events, and more.
- Latin Flavor- A classic Latin restaurant serving traditional Puerto Rican dishes in a relaxed space with a full bar and patio seating.
- Southern Sisters Cafe- Classic southern cafe serving traditional southern breakfast dishes such as biscuits, omelets, waffles, and benedicts from 6 am-2 pm.
Located just west of the large Wickham Park, this neighborhood is perfect for outdoor lovers. You have everything nearby, conveniently close to the park, restaurants, shops, and the Maxwell Performing Arts Center.
The median home value in Baymeadows is around $400k, with homes being primarily more contemporary builds with 3-5 bedrooms and surrounded by beautiful landscaping of natural trees and green grass.
A perfect spot for a family, with the park and community center being so close by, as well as Sherwood Elementary, Longleaf Elementary, and Wade Christian Academy. Let's look at some of the local spots in Baymeadows below.
- Bizzarro's Italian Restaurant- A colorful Italian restaurant offering traditional dishes of pizza & pasta, appetizers, subs, wings, soups & salads, and Italian desserts. Choose to sit outside under the large umbrellas or inside with the warm and cozy booth seating.
- Wickham Park Community Center-Located inside Wickham park, this 18,000 square-foot building has a full-sized gymnasium, rooms for rental, children camps, programs, community events, and daily recreational games.
- Wickham Park Commons-This small shopping mall has restaurants and shops for locals to enjoy.
This neighborhood is in the middle of town, directly above W Eau Gallie Blvd. Known to be a very convenient and friendly neighborhood where individuals of all ages reside to be in the middle of everything the city has to offer.
The median home value in Leewood Forest is around $300k, with most homes being the single floor and single-family sized. The area contains different local shops and medical buildings such as Children's Healthcare, Family Dentistry, and an Animal Specialist doctor.
With the ease of having accessible healthcare nearby and excellent schools such as Sabal Elementary, Roy Allen Elementary, and Lyndon B. Johnson Middle School, this is also a great neighborhood to raise a family.
Let's take a look at some of the neighborhood favorites below!
- Love City Cafe-This neighborhood cafe is a true favorite where residents come to sip on coffee, smoothies, or tea while enjoying the outdoor garden seating.
- Eau Gallie River-Located between W Eau Gallie Blvd and Aurora road in the middle of Melbourne, this river provides a scenic spot or place to fish and take out a small boat!
- The Sweet Heartist-This local bakery is the spot for a sweet treat. Known for their gourmet cookies, cakes, spreads, fudge, local honey, and more, you can't go wrong!
Best known as the arts district, this area was its city from 1860-1969. Now a bright and cheerful neighborhood in the east part of town, boarding the Indian River, this area is rich in culture and history.
Marked by the many murals on the side of buildings and many art galleries, shops, and wonderfully unique restaurants and bars, this is a great area to live if you want to feel a sense of community or are an artist yourself.
The median home value in Eau Gallie is around $310k, with homes of their own character, from the waterfront and contemporary builds to older beach homes with a charming touch.
Also an excellent spot for families by having access to many family-friendly activities and top-rated schools, such as Eau Gallie High School, Wavecrest Academy, Harbor City Elementary, and Verdi EcoSchool.
Take a look at some of the local favorites in Eau Gallie below!
- The Salty Fox-This restaurant fits in perfectly with the art scene surrounding it with a relaxed vibe and quirky interior. Hosting Sunday brunch, karaoke, pool tables, and more, this is a great spot to grab some food and catch up with friends and family.
- Intracoastal Brewing Company-A neighborhood taproom featuring a rotating menu of original brews to be enjoyed in the warm interior where large taps and fermentation vessels are held with large wooden tables or outside with the sizeable picnic-style setup and colorful murals.
- Eau Gallie Square Park-Considered, the heart of the arts district, this park has a large outdoor stage, grass fields, and muraled walls surrounding it.
- Fifth Avenue Art Gallery-This artist-owned gallery showcases local artists' work of paintings, sculptures, welding, jewelry, and more.
The Dunes At Oceanside Village
This small neighborhood on the strip of land between the Indian River and the Atlantic Ocean on the east side of Melbourne is known for its beach-style living. Close to Canova Beach Park, you can access a remote public beach, stunning landscapes, and many waterfront restaurants, shops, and stores.
The median home value in The Dunes is around $550k making it much more expensive than living in the central part of the city, but you truly get what you pay for here with stunning homes near great amenities.
Not as great for families due to most of the school districts being on the mainland and many tourists visiting each year, this is a beautiful area for young professionals or retirees looking for an oasis in Florida in a lower price range.
Check out some of the local favorites in this area of Melbourne below!
- Canova Beach Park-A stunning beach park with white sand and blue waters. Locals and visitors come to enjoy the water, walk their dogs on the beach, picnic at the pavilions, and relax.
- Lou's Blues Bar & Grill-Looking for waterfront views paired with excellent casual eats, live music, and, if you are up for it dancing!? This indoor/outdoor bar and grill is a local spot where you will always find people being whisked off their feet or enjoying the calming views.
- Coasters Pub & Biergarten-This Irish pub has a beachfront twist with a beautiful outdoor patio space to feel the ocean breeze or an indoor pub-style restaurant where locals come to enjoy the game, eat some delicious bar-bites, or indulge in the 100+ beers available.
Best Neighborhoods in Melbourne, FL- Final Thoughts
Melbourne, FL, is a charming and vibrant town in central Florida, offering safe and close-knit neighborhoods and lots of fun and exciting things to do, beautiful restaurants, stunning beaches, lush outdoor recreational spaces, a colorful arts district, and beautiful schools. With a lower cost of living than the rest of Florida, finding the perfect neighborhood for you and what you want in a home is more accessible!
If you or anyone you know would like to make this beautiful oasis a permanent stay, contact us here so we can connect you with one of our Realty Specialists. We will work with you to find the perfect fit regardless of your budget, home preferences, and preferred neighborhood.
For more information about moving, the best places to live, and things to do, refer to our other local area guides below!
Hi there! My name is Ryan Fitzgerald, and I am a REALTOR®. My goal is to help you learn more about real estate through our Real Estate Blog! Hopefully, you enjoyed the above blog post and it found a way to provide help or value to you. When you're ready to buy or sell a home of your own let us know here. Please feel free to join the conversation by dropping us a comment below.