September 06th, 2022
Best Places to Live in Tempe
Are you looking for the best neighborhoods in Tempe? Check out these top ten places to live!
Tempe, Arizona, is located in Maricopa County and is considered one of the best places to live in Arizona due to its sought-after amenities and unique neighborhoods.
Best known as a college town thanks to its proximity to Arizona State University, Tempe is an excellent place to live that is experiencing rapid growth and has tons of new job opportunities.
Recognized as a great place to live for college students, young professionals, families, and retirees, Tempe has many desirable areas to choose from and affordable homes available that will fit most budgets and lifestyles.
So what are the best places to live in Tempe?
Since each neighborhood is different, our team has compiled a list of the best communities in Tempe to help you find only the safest and most desirable areas to call home.
Whether you are looking for new construction single-family homes for sale in Tempe, luxury homes for sale in Tempe, or townhomes for sale in Tempe, finding your dream home is possible with the help of this neighborhood guide.
Keep reading to learn more about the best neighborhoods in Tempe!
Here are the best places to live in Tempe in 2022!
Tally Ho Farms
Tally Ho Farms is a beautiful South Tempe community known for its rural feel and large luxurious homes on large lots. Offering an assortment of unique architectural styles that vary in size and prices to choose from, Tally Ho Farms homes range around 1,600 to over 7,800 square feet in size and are priced from the high 400s to upwards of a million dollars.
Home to three highly-rated public schools, including Kyrene de la Mariposa School, Kyrene Del Pueblo Middle School, and Corona Del Sol High School, families with school-aged children that move to the area will be satisfied with its educational opportunities.
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center Arizona: Bring the whole family to this fun and creative amusement center that features up to 12 different attractions to explore, including 4D movies, rides, and a Lego factory tour.
- Stroud Park: Developed in 1984, this city park features a playground, a soccer field, a basketball court, picnic tables, grills, and open green spaces.
- Hanger Park: Offering outdoor recreation and nature preservation, this public park is a great place to hang out when the weather is nice since it features a playground, soccer fields, sand volleyball courts, basketball courts, and green spaces.
Optimist Park NE
Home to a population of over 2,286 residents, the neighborhood of Optimist Park NE in Tempe has an average age of 49 years old, which means that most residents are established, professionals and families. Since 74% of residents are homeowners, Optimist Park NE has been ranked as a top neighborhood in Tempe for its variety of dining options, coffee shops, and local businesses.
Known to be a safe neighborhood, most residents feel safe walking alone at night since the streets are well-lit. Some of the best schools in the area for those moving with school-aged children include Fuller Elementary School, Fees College Preparatory Middle School, and Marcos De Niza High School.
- Tempe Town Lake: As the second-most visited public attraction in Arizona, this more than two-mile-long lake offers a variety of exciting events and activities to enjoy all year long, including standup paddleboarding, kayaking, and more.
- ASU Art Museum: Located on Arizona State Universities' main campus, this art museum was first opened in 1989 and featured both permanent and rotating exhibits and events.
- SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium: Found at the Arizona Mills Mall in Tempe, this 26,000-square-foot interactive aquarium is home to thousands of aquatic animals and a 360-degree ocean tunnel that will take an hour to an hour and a half to explore.
Featuring primarily large single-family homes that are competitively priced, the neighborhood of Sunburst Farms was first established in 1977 and is home to 99% of homeowners with an average age of 55 years old.
Considered a well-established community surrounded by top restaurants, parks, and boutiques, most homes in Sunburst Farms have four bedrooms and two to three bathrooms and range between 2,101 to 3,330 square feet in size.
- The Peppermill: Steakhouse and Cocktail: Dine on burgers, steaks, salads, and other impressive dishes at this French and Asian-inspired steakhouse. This is the perfect destination for a romantic dinner date or essential celebration.
- Yupha's Thai Kitchen: Enjoy fried rice dishes, noodles, curries, and unique vegetarian dishes in this authentic chef-owned Thai restaurant.
- Ghost Ranch: Modern Southern Cuisine: This chic southwestern restaurant is known for its fantastic food, excellent service, and relaxed atmosphere. Popular dishes include cowboy steaks, smoky rancho beans, and large taco platters.
With a cost of living that is 4% cheaper than other neighborhoods of similar size in Arizona, the community of Cyprus Southwest is a great place to live in Tempe, which has a growing population of 2,000 people. With an unemployment rate of 4.6% and a median household income of $50,680, Cypress Southwest attracts many young professionals to the area.
- Tempe History Museum: Learn about the history of Tempe through rotating displays, exhibits, photographs, archival documents, and more than 70,000 historical artifacts. Admission is free.
- Tempe Beach Park: The perfect setting for outdoor fun, this 25-acre urban park features a splash playground, athletic fields, picnic tables, and boat rentals.
- Kiwanis Park: A nice place to walk around and spend time outside, this park has a lake and a 54,000-square-foot complex with an indoor wave pool and 15 court tennis center.
Alta Mira is a well-established community in Tempe that features primarily large single-family homes that are all competitively priced. With a median home price of $695,000, Alta Mira is a desirable community that attracts interest from new homebuyers looking to move to the area.
Most homes in Alta Mira were first built between 1981 to 1986 and range between two to four bedrooms, two to three bathrooms, and 1,362 to 2,917 square feet. Since the walk score is only 47 out of 100 and the bike score is only 49 out of 100, it is recommended that residents own a car to get around town.
- RigaTony's Authentic Italian Restaurant: Located in McClintock Fountains, this family-friendly Italian restaurant has a menu with homestyle Italian favorites, an inviting atmosphere, and excellent service.
- LOMI POKI - Poke and Grilled: Dine on poke bowls, teriyaki dishes, and lunch specials at this counter-service Hawaiian restaurant that offers dine-in, takeout, and delivery options.
- Postino South Tempe: Enjoy delicious wines and excellent Italian food made from local ingredients in a warm and rustic atmosphere.
Tempe Royal Estates
Tempe Royal Estates is a safe and relatively diverse neighborhood within a 15-minute drive to downtown Tempe. Offering an assortment of architectural styles that vary in size and price, residents love living in this neighborhood for its accessibility to amenities and popular businesses. Some of the top schools in the area include Kyrene de la Mariposa School, Kyrene Middle School, and Marcos De Niza High School.
- Crackers and Co. Cafe: Open since 1984, this popular cafe serves breakfast all day, burgers, sandwiches, soups, salads, and other favorite home-cooked meals.
- Fuddruckers: Serving some of the best burgers in town on homemade sesame seed buns, salads, and shakes in a family-friendly atmosphere.
- Viet Shack: Enjoy traditional Vietnamese food at this locally-owned laid-back restaurant in Grove Parkway Plaza.
Considered to be a smaller residential suburb, the neighborhood of Kyrene-Superstition ranks better than 54% of other areas in Tempe. This is why many young professionals, families, and retirees choose to buy a home here. Described as a quiet place to live with great walkability and friendly neighbors, residents constantly rave about how close the neighborhood is to nearby highways and the airport. For those moving with school-aged children, some of the best schools in the area include Carminati Elementary School, Gililland Middle School, and Tempe High School.
- Experiment Coffee and Pastry: This locally-owned coffee shop offers coffee, tea, breakfast, homemade pastries, and artisan bread.
- Netta Cheta's on Mill: Serving breakfast and lunch all day and offering special events in the evening, this locally owned and operated restaurant is well worth visiting.
- Azusa Ramen: Located in Fry's Shopping Center off of Southern Avenue and Mill Avenue, this authentic ramen noodle experience is known for its good portions, reasonable price, and excellent menu selection.
Comprised of beautiful single-family homes and apartments, Dava Lakeshore ranks better than 97% of other areas in Tempe and has been given a liveability score of 86 out of 100. With a median home price of $550,000, Dava Lakeshore has become a popular neighborhood for its location, amenities, and affordability. On average, most homes in Dava Lakeshore sell after sitting 33 days on the market, and most homes sell for approximately the same asking price as of July 2022.
- Squarz Bakery and Cafe: Located in the Pollack Southwind Plaza, this small bakery is handcrafting meat-filled pies, croissants, and sandwiches.
- Word of Mouth Grill: Open for lunch and dinner Tuesday through Saturday, this family-owned and operated grill serves mesquite smoked BBQ and fantastic food in a great atmosphere.
- Vincitorio's Restaurant: The go-to spot in town for homemade pasta, authentic Italian dishes, good wine choices, live music, and excellent service.
Camelot Village is a beautiful Tempe neighborhood with an average age of 49 years old and is home to a population of over 2,200 residents. Not only is this neighborhood family-friendly and well-maintained, but Camelot village is known to be a safe place to live, quiet, and has tons of walkability.
- Sacred Pi Love + Pizza: Offering wings, salads, pizza, salads, charcuterie boards, and Italian comfort food in a great atmosphere.
- Badlands Bar and Grill: Found in Discovery Business Campus, this American restaurant and scratch kitchen serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner all week. Plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options are also available.
- P Croissant: A cute and cozy cafe in town that is popular for its classic baked goods, including flavored croissants, sandwiches, and salads.
Meyer Park neighborhood is located near great schools and within walking distance of delicious restaurants, cozy coffee shops, and friendly stores. With a growing population of over 3,000 people with an average age of 41 years old, Meyer Park is the perfect place to live if you are raising a family or want a more laid-back way of life. As part of the Tempe School District, some of the best schools in the area include Hudson Elementary School, Connolly Middle School, and McClintock High School.
- The Hudson Eatery and Bar: This laid-back fast-casual restaurant serves burgers, a pub-inspired menu, craft beer on tap, and a bourbon bar with over 200 whiskies to choose from.
- Old Town Taste: With a focus on making traditional Chinese food, this restaurant is an excellent place for casual dining with family and friends.
- Board and Brew: Beloved for its craft beer and quality sandwiches made from scratch with natural ingredients delivered daily with no preservatives or substitutes.
Best Places to Live in Tempe, AZ - Final Thoughts
Whether you are searching for a quiet suburban neighborhood to raise a family in or a lively community near the heart of downtown Tempe, it is safe to say that Tempe is home to various diverse areas ready to explore.
If you are ready to start your home search, contact us here to be connected with one of our friendly and experienced Real Estate Specialists. We are here to help you find homes for sale in Tempe, and we are ready to answer any questions you may have about the area or the home-buying process.